The following are hurricane planning tips from the National Hurricane Center:
- Locate a safe room or the safest areas in your home for each hurricane hazard. In certain circumstances, the safest areas may not be your home but within your community — refer to the Westminster Village site plan to locate our hurricane shelter.
- Determine escape routes from your home and places to meet. These should be measured in tens of miles rather than hundreds of miles.
- Have an out-of-state friend as a family contact, so all your family members have a single point of contact.
- Make a plan now for what to do with your pets if you need to evacuate.
- Post emergency telephone numbers by your phone.
- Stock nonperishable emergency supplies and a Disaster Supply Kit.
- Use a NOAA weather radio (remember to replace its battery every 6 months).
- Take first aid, CPR and disaster preparedness classes.